Editor's note: This story was originally published in 2018.
Check out this awesome Hey Dads Gay Dads interview with gay dad and former Top Gun & Blue Angels pilot Mark Dunleavy to hear why he says, "Don't let people tell you 'no' just because you're gay; those days are gone."
Mark talks to Tom Bourdon about being raised in a Catholic military family, graduating from the Naval Academy and Top Gun, being part of the Navy flight demonstration team Blue Angels, serving in the military under Don't Ask Don't Tell, and now living life as an out and proud husband and gay dad
In this interview you'll hear Mark discuss:
- His childhood and career in Top Gun and the Blue Angels (0:30)
- Struggling with his identity and coming out (1:28)
- What it was like being in the military during DADT (Don't Ask Don't Tell) (2:20)
- Being a father and a husband (2:40)
- His path to fatherhood and why it's unique (3:10)
- Selecting an egg donor and being a mixed race family (3:34)
- How life as a dad compares to being a pilot (4:33)
- His advice for future dads-to-be (5:28)